Meet Your Guide
Having spent two decades living in the Lake George – Saratoga Region, I have spent most of my free time in the Adirondacks. I moved here for a high school teaching position and was recruited into guiding shortly thereafter. The two professions complement one another, with a shared emphasis upon life-long learning. There’s lots to learn about the mountains we visit, the creation of the Adirondack Park, its rich natural history, and the challenge of maintaining both wilderness and rural towns.
As a guidebook author (Adirondack Rock: a Rock Climbers Guide) since 2008, I have gotten to know the Park very well, with its tremendous breadth (6 million acres) and how it’s changing with the passage of time.
As a husband and father, I also have the perspective of introducing families to mountain adventures. Many years spent skiing, hiking, and climbing with children has expanded my range of Adirondack adventures and has refined my skills of keeping families happy and safe in the backcountry. Few life experiences compare to sharing a winter trail with kids or a family lunch at a favorite viewpoint.
- Expert-level skiing since 1999, including: ski mountaineering, backcountry touring, and backcountry nordic
- Expert-level hiking since 1994, including: All 4000’ High Peaks, summer and winter off-trail bushwhacks, summer and winter backpacking.
- Licensed Guiding since 2003, including: skiing, hiking, technical climbing, and technical mountaineering.
- Public school teaching since 2001, including college-level outdoor education courses
Certification and Training
Rigorous training and certification is an essential part of the guiding profession. I’m committed to staying current with advances in tools and techniques. It makes me a better guide and improves the experience for my clients. As a dedicated mountain guide, I work hard to make our day together the safest it can be.
- Certification (2020): AAI Professional Avalanche Level 1
- Certification (2020): SOLO Wilderness First Responder
- Certification (2016): AMGA Rock Instructor
- Training (2021): AMGA Alpine Guide Course
- Training (2020): DEC Volunteer Climber Rescue Team